To Home Page
To Course Notes Menu
CLAS 220: The Ancient Olympics and Greek Sport
compiled by John Porter, University of Saskatchewan
Terms, Relevant Links Elsewhere on the WWW, and Bibliography for Course Lectures on the Ancient Olympics and Greek Sport.
NOTE: For the most part, links on this page are to relevant material on other WWW sites.
Please do not assume that the material is mine unless the page to which you are directed is clearly marked as being part of this WWW site.
(Those terms marked with an asterisk are of particular importance.)
For links to specific images to be discussed in class, visit the *Images of the Greek Sport page.
Images of the Greek Stadion (Perseus)
Other Links to Relevant Sites Elsewhere on the WWW
For other references see J.P. Adams' "Sport in Greek Antiquity: A Brief Bibliography"
For a list of journal abbreviations and call numbers, see the
Journals Relating to Classics in the University of Saskatchewan Libraries page.
- Arieti, J.A. "Nudity in Greek Athletics," CW 68 (1975) 431-36.
- Bazarnic, S.G. The Ancient Greek Pentathlon and Aspects of the Greek Ideal. University Park, 1970.
- Beale, A. Greek athletics and the Olympics. Cambridge and New York, 2011.
- Bentz, M. Panathenäische Preisamphoren: Eine athenische Vasengattung und ihre Funktion vom 6.-4. Jahrhundert v. Chr. Basel, 1998.
- Buchanan, D. Greek Athletics. London, 1976.
- Christesen, P. Ancient Greek History and Olympic Victor Lists. Cambridge, 2007.
- Crowther, N.B. "Studies in Greek Athletics: Parts I and II," CW 78 (1985) 497-510, 514-20, 522-34, 536-40, 542-44, 546-50, 552-54, 556-58, and 79 (1985) 73-82, 85-94, 97-106, 109-18, 121-35.
- Crowther, N.B. "Recent Trends in the Study of Greek Athletics (1982-1989)," AntClass 59 (1990) 246-55.
- Crowther, N.B. "Slaves and Greek Athletics," QUCC 40 (1992) 35-42.
- Crowther, N.B. "The Apobates Reconsidered (Demosthenes 61.23-9)," JHS 111 (1991) 174-76.
- Douskou, I., ed. The Olympic Games in Ancient Greece. Athens, 1976.
- Drees, L. Olympia: Gods, Artists, and Athletes. London, 1968.
- Finley, M.I., and H.W. Pleket. The Olympic Games: The First Thousand Years. New York, 1976.
- Gardiner, E. Norman. Greek Athletic Sports and Festivals. London, 1910.
- Gardiner, E. Norman. Olympia, Its History and Remains. Oxford, 1925.
- Gardiner, N. Athletics in the Ancient World. Oxford, 1930.
- Gault, F. Stories from the Olympics: From 776 B.C. to Now. New York, 1976.
- Glader, E.A. Amateurism and Athletics. West Point, 1978.
- Hannah, P.A. "The Reality of Greek Male Nudity," Scholia 7 (1998) .
- Harris, H.A. Greek Athletes And Athletics. Westport, 1964.
- Harris, H.A. Greek Athletics and the Jews. Cardiff, 1976.
- Harris, H.A. Sport in Greece and Rome. New York, 1972.
- Harris, J.P. "Revenge of the Nerds: Xenophanes, Euripides, and Socrates vs. Olympic Victors," AJP 130.2 (2009) 157-94.
- Hawhee, D. Bodily Arts. Rhetoric and Athletics in Ancient Greece. Austin, , 2005.
- Henry, W.M. An Approved History of the Olympic Games. Los Angeles, 1981.
- Hyde, W.W. Olympic Victor Monuments and Greek Athletic Art. Washington, 1921.
- Jackson, D.F. "Philostratos and the Pentathlon," JHS 111 (1991) 178-81.
- Kanin, D.B. A Political History of the Olympic Games. Boulder, 1981.
- Kennell, N.M. "Most Necessary for the Bodies of Men: Olive Oil and its By-products in the Later Greek Gymnasium," in M. Joyal, ed., In Altum: Seventy-Five Years of Classical Studies in Newfoundland (St. John's, 2001) 119-33.
- Konig, J. Athletics and Literature in the Roman Empire. Cambridge, 2005.
- Kurke, L. "Ancient Greek Board Games and How to Play Them," CP 94 (1999) 247-67.
- Kyle, D.G. Sport and Spectacle in the Ancient World. Malden and Oxford, 2006.
- Kyle, D.G. Athletics In Ancient Athens. Leiden, 1987.
- Kyle, D.G. "Winning at Olympia," Archaeology 49.4 (1996) 26-37 (passim).
- Lee, H. "SIB 3 802: Did Women Compete Against Men in Greek Athletic Festivals?" Nikephoros 1 (1988) 103-117.
- Lissarrague, F. Greek Vases: The Athenians and Their Images. New York, 2001.
- Matz, D. Greek and Roman Sport. Jefferson [N.C.], 1991.
- McDonnell, M. "The Introduction of Athletic Nudity: Thucydides, Plato, and the Vases," JHS 111 (1991) 182-93.
- Messinesi, X.L. A Branch of Wild Olive; The Olympic Movement and the Ancient and
Modern Olympic Games. New York, 1973.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art. Greek Athletics. New York, 1933.
- Miller, S.G. Aretê: Ancient Writers, Papyri, And Inscriptions On The History And Ideals Of Greek Athletics And Games. Second and expanded edition. Berkeley, 1991.
- Miller, S.G. Ancient Greek Athletics. New Haven, 2004.
- Morgan, C. Athletes And Oracles: The Transformation Of Olympia And Delphi In The Eighth Century BC. Cambridge, 1990.
- Mouratidis, J. On the jump of the ancient pentathlon. Hildesheim, 2012.
- Newby, Z. Greek Athletics in the Roman World: Victory and Virtue. Oxford, 2005.
- Nicholson, N.J. Aristocracy and Athletics in Archaic and Classical Greece. Cambridge, 2005. [BMCR review]
- Olivová, V. Sports and Games in the Ancient World. New York, 1984.
- Osborne, R. "Men without Clothes: Heroic Nakedness and Greek Art," Gender History 9 (1997) 504-28.
- Phillips, D.J., and D. Pritchard, eds. Sport and Festival in the Ancient Greek World. Swansea, 2003.
- Pleket, H.W. "Games, Prizes, Athletes, and Ideology," Stadion 1 (1976) 49-89.
- Poliakoff, M.B. Combat Sports in the Ancient World. New Haven and London, 1987.
- Poliakoff, M.B. Studies in the Terminology of the Greek Combat Sports. Königstein, 1982.
- Powell, J.T. Origins and Aspects of Olympism. Champaign, 1994.
- Raschke, W.J., ed. The Archaeology of the Olympics. Reprinted, with a new preface. Madison, 2002.
- Robinson, R.S. Sources For The History Of Greek Athletics In English Translation. Rev. ed. Chicago, 1955.
- Romano, D.G. Athletics and Mathematics in Ancient Corinth: The Origins of the Greek Stadion. Philadelphia, 1994.
- Romano, D.G. The Ancient Olympics: Athletes, Games and Heroes (video). Cincinnati: Institute for Mediterranean Studies Video Lecture Series.
- Rostovzeff, M.I. Out of the Past of Greece and Rome. New Haven, 1932.
- Sansone, D. Greek Athletics And The Genesis Of Sport. Berkeley, 1988.
- Scanlon, T.F. Eros and Greek Athletics. Oxford, 2002.
- Scanlon, T.F. Greek And Roman Athletics: A Bibliography. Chicago, 1984.
- Schöbel, H. The Ancient Olympic Games. Princeton, 1966.
- Spears, B. "A Perspective of the History of Women's Sport in Ancient Greece," Journal of the History of Sport 11 (1984) 32ff.
- Swaddling, J. Ancient Olympic Games. London, 1980.
- Sweet, W.E. Sport And Recreation In Ancient Greece: A Sourcebook With Translations. New York, 1987.
- Sweet W.E. "Protection of the Genitals in Greek Athletics," AncW 11 (1985) 43-52.
- Yalouris, N., ed. The Eternal Olympics: The Art and History of Sport. New Rochelle, 1979.
- Yalouris, N., et al. The Olympic Games. Athens, 1976.
- Yates, V. "Anterastai: Competition in Eros and Politics in Classical Athens," Arethusa 38 (2005) 33Ð47.
- Young, D.C. "Myths about the Ancient Games," Archaeology 49.4 (1996) 30.
- Young, D.C. The Olympic Myth Of Greek Amateur Athletes. Chicago, 1984.
Top of Page
: Course Notes Page : Home Page
These pages were designed by John Porter.
Last Modified: Sunday, 12-Aug-2012 18:35:41 CST
Please send queries and comments to email@example.com.