To Home Page
To Course Notes Menu
CLAS 220: The Greek House
compiled by John Porter, University of Saskatchewan
Relevant Links Elsewhere on the WWW and Bibliography for Course Lectures on the Greek House.
NOTE: For the most part, links on this page are to relevant material on other WWW sites.
Please do not assume that the material is mine unless the page to which you are directed is clearly marked as being part of this WWW site.
An invaluable discussion of town planning and house design at Olynthus. See in particular, Chapter Three: "The Houses Described."
Links to Perseus: Sites and Houses Discussed in Lectures (where available)
- Olynthos (with additional links to Nick Cahill's excellent account)
See as well the general catalogue of Houses illustrated in Perseus (thumbnail images available)
For a list of journal abbreviations and call numbers, see the
Journals Relating to Classics in the University of Saskatchewan Libraries page.
- Alcock, N. "Physical Space and Social Space: The Interpretation of Vernacular Architecture," in M. Lacock, ed., Meaningful Architecture: Social Interpretation of Building (Aldershot, 1994) 207-30.d
- Allison, P.M., ed. The Archaeology of Household Activities. New York, 1999.
- Amyx, D.A. "The Attic Stelai, Part III," Hesperia 27 (1958) 163-310.
- Andrianou, D. The Furniture and Furnishings of Ancient Greek Houses and Tombs. New York, 2009.
- Antonaccio, C.M. "Architecture and Behavior: Building Gender into Greek Houses," CW 93 (2000) 517-33.
- Ault, B., and L.C. Nevett, eds. Ancient Greek houses and households. Chronological, regional, and social diversity. Philadelphia, 2005.
- Ault, B.A. The Excavations at Ancient Halieis. Volume 2: The Houses. The Organization and Use of Domestic Space. Bloomington, 2005.
- Ault, B. "Housing the Poor and Homeless in Ancient Greece," in B.A. Ault and L.C. Nevett, eds., Ancient Greek Houses and Households (Philadelphia, 2005) 140-59.
- Ault, B.A. "Koprones and Oil Presses at Halieis: Interactions of Town and Country and the Integration of Domestic and Regional Economies," Hesperia 68.4 (1999) 549-73.
- Ault, B.A. "Living in the Classical Polis: The Greek House as Microcosm," CW 93 (2000) 483-96.
- Ault, B.A. "Assessing the Economic Life of the Greek Oikos," in A. Haug and D. Steuernagel, eds., Hellenistische Häuser und ihre Funktionen (Bonn, 2014) 25-34.
- Ault, B.A., and L.C. Nevett, eds., Ancient Greek Houses and Households. Chronological, Regional and Social Diversity. Philadelphia, 2005.
- Bettalli, M. "Case, Botteghe, Ergasteria: Note sui luoghi di produzione e di vendita nell' Atene classica," Opus 4 (1985) 29-42.
- Blundell, S. Women in Ancient Greece. Cambridge [Mass.], 1995. [pp. 138ff.]
- Burford, A. Land and Labor in the Greek World. Baltimore, 1993.
- Burford-Cooper, A. "The Family Farm in Greece," CJ 73 (1977) 162-75.
- Cahill, N. Household and City Organization at Olynthus. New Haven, 2002.
- Cahill, N.D. "Household Industry in Greece and Anatolia," in B. Ault and L. Nevett, eds., Ancient Greek Houses and Households. Chronological, Regional, and Social Diversity (Philadelphia, 2005) 54-66.
- Cahill, N. "Olynthus and Greek Town Planning," CW 93 (2000) 497-515.
- Camp, J.M. The Athenian Agora. Updated, with corrections. New York, 1992. [pp. 148-50]
- Cohen, D. "Seclusion, Separation, and the Status of Women in Classical Athens," G&R 36 (1989) 3-15.
- Cohen, D. Law, Sexuality, and Society. Cambridge, 1991.
- Dinsmoor, W.B. The Architecture of Ancient Greece. 3rd edition. New York, 1975. [pp. 252-53, 322-25]
- Durand, J.-L., and F. Lissarrague. "Un lieu d'image? L'espace du loutérion," Hephaistos 2 (1980) 89-106.
- Fiedler, M. "Houses at Leukas in Acarnania: A Case Study in Ancient Household Organization," in B.A. Ault and L.C. Nevett, eds., Ancient Greek Houses and Households (Philadelphia, 2005) 99-118.
- Fischer-Hansen, T. "Ergasteria in the Western Greek World," in P. Flensted-Jensen, T.H. Nielsen, and L. Rubinstein, eds., Polis and Politics: Studies in Ancient Greek History (Copenhagen, 2000) 91-120.
- Forbes, R.J. Studies in Ancient Technology, vol. 6. Leiden, 1964.
- Foxhall, L. "The Control of the Attic Landscape," in B. Wells, ed., Agriculture in Ancient Greece (Stockholm, 1992) 155-59.
- Foxhall, L. "House clearance: unpacking the 'kitchen' in Classical Greece," in R. Westgate, N. Fisher, and J. Whitley, eds., Building communities: House, settlement and society in the Aegean and beyond (London, 2007) 233-42.
- Foxhall, L. "Household, Gender and Property in Classical Athens," CQ 39 (1989) 22-44.
- Francis, J. "Lumen et candela: The Candle in Ancient Greece and Italy," in M. Joyal, ed., In Altum: Seventy-Five Years of Classical Studies in Newfoundland (St. John's, 2001) 177-95.
- Gallant, T.W. Risk and Survival in Ancient Greece: Reconstructing the Rural Domestic Economy. Stanford, 1991.
- Goldberg, M. "Spacial and Behavioural Negotiation in Classical Athenian Houses," in P.M. Allison, ed., The Archaeology of Household Activities (London, 1999) 142-61.
- Graham, J.W. "Olynthiaka 1-6," Hesperia 22 (1953) 196-207 and 23 (1954) 320-46.
- Graham, J.W. "Houses of Classical Athens," Phoenix 28 (1974) 45-54.
- Graham, J.W. "Origins and Interrelations of the Greek House and the Roman House," Phoenix 20 (1966) 3-31.
- Graham, J.W. Hesperia 35 (1966) 51ff. [house SW of Areopagus — see Agora XIV 180ff.]
- Graham, J.W., and D.M. Robinson. Domestic and Public Architecture. Excavations at Olynthus, Part xii. Baltimore, 1946.
- Graham, J.W., and D.M. Robinson. The Hellenic House. Excavations at Olynthus, Part viii. Baltimore, 1938.
- Gude, M. A History of Olynthus. Baltimore, 1933.
- Hamel, D. The mutilation of the herms: unpacking an ancient mystery. North Haven, 2012.
- Handley, E.W. "Theme and Variations," in C. Questa and R. Raffaelli, eds., Due Seminari Plautini: La tradizione del testo; i modelli (Ludus Philologiae 11: Urbino, 2002) . [presentation of the daily task of collecting drinking water in New Comedy]
- Hanson, J. Decoding Homes and Houses. Cambridge, 1998.
- Harris, E.M., D.M. Lewis, and M. Woolmer, eds. Markets, Households and City-States in the Ancient Greek Economy. Cambridge and New York, 2016.
- Hillier, B. Space Is the Machine: A Configurational Theory of Architecture. Cambridge, 1996.
- Hillier, B., and J. Hanson. The Social Logic of Space. Cambridge, 1984.
- Hoepfner, W., and E.-L. Schwandner. Haus und Stadt in klassischen Griechenland. Munich, 1986.
- Hunter, V.J. Policing Athens: Social Control in the Attic Lawsuits, 420-320 B.C. Princeton, 1994.
- Hunter-Anderson, R.L. "A Theoretical Approach to the Study of House Form," in L. Binford, ed., For Theory Building in Archaeology (New York, 1977) 287-315.
- Isager, S. "The Women's Quarter," Mus. Tusc. 32/33 (1978) 39-42.
- Jameson, M. "Domestic Space in the Greek City State," in S. Kend, ed., Domestic Architecture and the Use of Space (Cambridge, 1990) 92-113.
- Jameson, M. "Private Space and the Greek City," in O. Murray and S. Price, eds., The Greek City: From Homer to Alexander (Oxford, 1990) 171-95.
- Johnstone, S. "Women, Property, and Surveillance in Classical Athens," ClAnt 22 (2003) 247-74.
- Jones, J.E. "A Country House in Attica," Archaeology 16 (1963) 276-83.
- Jones, J.E. "Town and Country Houses of Attica in Classical Times," in Thorikos and the Laurion in Archaic and Classical Times, Miscellanea Graeca I (Ghent, 1975) 63-141.
- Jones, J.E. et al. " An Attic Country House Below the Cave of Pan at Vari," BSA 68 (1973) 355-452.
- Jones, J.E., L.H. Sackett, and A.J. Graham. "The Dema House in Attica," BSA 57 (1962) 75-114.
- Joyce, R.A. Ancient Bodies, Ancient Lives: Sex, Gender, and Archaeology. New York, 2008.
- Kent. S., ed. Domestic Architecture and the Use of Space: An Interdisciplinary Cross-Cultural Study. Cambridge, 1990.
- Krause, C. "Grundformen des griechischen Pastashauses," AA (1977) 173-79.
- Lawrence, A.W. Greek Architecture. 4th edition. Harmondsworth, 1983. [pp. 315-31]
- Lewis, S. The Athenian Woman: An Iconographic Handbook. London and New York, 2002.
- Lissarague, F. "Intrusions aux gynécée," in P. Veyne, ed., Les mystères du gynécée (Paris, 1998) 156-98.
- Luce, J.V. "The Large House at Dystos in Euboea," GRBS 18 (1971) 143-49.
- Madella, M., G. Kovács, B. Kulcsarne-Berzsenyi, and I. Briz i Godino, eds. The archaeology of household. Oxford and Oakville, 2013.
- Métraux, G.P.R. "Ancient Housing: Oikos and Domus in Greece and Rome," Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians 58 (1999) 392-405.
- Mitchell, P.D., ed. Sanitation, latrines and intestinal parasites in past populations. Farnham and Burlington, 2015.
- Morgan, G. "Euphiletos' House: Lysias 1," TAPA 112 (1982) 115-23.
- Morgan, J.E. Domestic cult in the classical Greek house. Diss. Cardiff, 2005.
- Morgan, J. "Drunken men and modern myths. Re-viewing the Classical andron," in S.D. Lambert, ed., Sociable Man: essays on Ancient Greek Social Behaviour in Honour of Nick Fisher (Swansea, 2011) 267-90.
- Morgan, J. The Classical Greek House. Exeter, 2010.
- Morris, I. "Beyond Democracy and Empire: Athenian Art in Context," in D. Boedeker and K.A. Raaflaub, eds., Democracy, Empire, and the Arts in Fifth-Century Athens (Cambridge [Mass.], 1998) .
- Morris, I. "Household Archaeology and Gender Ideology in Archaic Greece," TAPA 129 (1999) 305-17.
- Morris, I. "Remaining Invisible: The Archaeology of the Excluded in Classical Athens," in S.R. Joshel and S. Murnaghan, eds., Women and Slaves in Greco-Roman Culture: Differential Equations (London and New York, 1998) 193-220.
- Mylonas, G.E. "The Olynthian House of the Classical Period," CJ 35 (1940) 389-402.
- Neils, J. "Kitchen or Cult? Women with Mortars and Pestles," in S. Keay and S. Moser, eds., Greek Art in View: Essays in Honour of Brian Sparkes (Oxford, 2004).
- Nevett, L.C. House and Society in the Ancient Greek World. Cambridge, 1999.
- Nevett, L.C. "Separation or Seclusion?" in M.P. Pearson and C. Richards, eds., Architecture and Order (London, 1994) 98-112.
- Nevett, L.C. "Between Urban and Rural: House-form and Social Relations in Attic Villages and Deme Centers," in B.A. Ault and L.C. Nevett, eds., Ancient Greek Houses and Households (Philadelphia, 2005) 83-98.
- Nevett, L.C. "Gender Relations in the Classical Greek Household: The Archaeological Evidence," BSA 90 (1995) 363-381.
- Nevett, L. "Greek houses as a source of evidence for social relations," in R. Westgate, N. Fisher, and J. Whitley, eds., Building communities: House, settlement and society in the Aegean and beyond (London, 2007) 5-10.
- Nevett, L. "Artifact assemblages in classical Greek domestic contexts: toward a new approach," in M. Müller, ed., Household studies in complex societies: archaeological and textual approaches (Chicago, 2015) 101-16.
- Nevett, L. "The Organisation of Space in Classical and Hellenistic Houses from Mainland Greece and the Western Colonies," in Time, Tradition, and Society in Greek Archaeology: Bridging the "Great Divide" (London and New York, 1995) 89-108.
- Nevett, L.C. Domestic Space in Classical Antiquity. Cambridge and New York, 2010.
- Nevett, L.C. "A Real Estate 'Market' in Classical Greece? The Example of Town Housing," ABSA 95 (2000) 329-43.
- Osborne, R.G. "Did democracy transform Athenian space?" in R. Westgate, N. Fisher, and J. Whitley, eds., Building communities: House, settlement and society in the Aegean and beyond (London, 2007) 195-99.
- Papayiannis, J. The Gynaikonitis: The (Un) Gendered Greek House. Diss. Princeton, 2012.
- Parisinou, E. "Lighting dark rooms: some thoughts about the use of space in early Greek domestic architecture," in R. Westgate, N. Fisher, and J. Whitley, eds., Building communities: House, settlement and society in the Aegean and beyond (London, 2007) 213-23.
- Pedley, J.G. "Reflections of Architecture in Sixth-Century Attic Vase-Painting," in Papers on the Amasis Painter and his World (Malibu, 1987) 63-80.
- Pesando, F. Oikos e Ktesis: la casa greca in età classica. Perugia, 1987.
- Pritchett, W.K. "The Attic Stelai, Part I," Hesperia 22 (1953) 225-99.
- Pritchett, W.K. "The Attic Stelai, Part II," Hesperia 25 (1956) 210-317.
- Pritchett, W.K. [Further Fragments of the Attic Stelai] Hesperia 30 (1961) 23-29.
- Purves, A.C. Space and Time in Ancient Greek Narrative. Cambridge, 2010. [Xen. Oecon.]
- Rapoport, A. House Form and Culture. Englewood Cliffs, 1969.
- Rawson, B., ed. A companion to families in the Greek and Roman worlds. Chichester and Malden, 2011.
- Richter, D.C. "The Position of Women in Classical Athens," CJ 67 (1971) 1-8.
- Rotroff, S.I. "Commerce and Crafts Around the Athenian Agora," in J.M. Camp II and C.A. Mauzy, eds., The Athenian Agora: New Perspectives on an Ancient Site (Mainz, 2009) 39-46.
- Roy, J. "Polis and Oikos in Classical Athens," G&R 46 (1999) 1-18.
- Rumscheid, F. "Die hellenistischen Wohnhäuser von Priene. Befunde, Funde und Raumfunktionen," in A. Haug and D. Steuernagel, eds., Hellenistische Häuser und ihre Funktionen (Bonn 2014) 143–60.
- Sanders, D.H. "Behavioural Conventions and Archaeology: Methods for the Analysis of Ancient Architecture," in S. Kent, ed., Domestic Architecture and the Use of Space: An Interdisciplinary Cross-cultural Study (Cambridge, 1990) 42-71.
- Sear, F. Roman Architecture. Ithaca, 1982.
- Sellars, J. "Simon the Shoemaker and the Problem of Socrates," CP 98 (2003) 207-16.
- Sewell, J. "House and household: Greek and Roman domestic complexity," JRA 25 (2012) 560-63.
- Smith, A.C. "Looking Inside on the Outside of a Pot," in A. Glazebrook and B. Tsakirgis, eds. Houses of Ill Repute: The Archaeology of Brothels, Houses, and Taverns in the Greek World (Philadelphia, 2016) 143-68.
- Sourvinou-Inwood, C. "Male and Female, Public and Private, Ancient and Modern," in E.D. Reeder, ed., Pandora: Women in Classical Greece (Princeton, 1995) 111-22.
- Sparkes, B.A. "The Greek Kitchen," JHS 82 (1962) 121-37.
- Sparkes, B.A., and L. Talcott. Pots and Pans of Classical Athens. Princeton, 1958.
- Thompson, H.A., and R.E. Wycherley. The Agora of Athens: The History, Shape, and Uses of an Ancient City Center. Princeton, 1972. [= Agora XIV] [pp. 173-203]
- Thornton, B.S. "Greek Appetite and Its Discontents," Arion 7.3 (2000) 153-66.
- Tomlinson, R.A. "From houses to tenements: domestic architecture in Hellenistic Alexandria," in R. Westgate, N. Fisher, and J. Whitley, eds., Building communities: House, settlement and society in the Aegean and beyond (London, 2007) 307-11.
- Travlos, J. Pictorial Dictionary of Ancient Athens. New York, 1980. [pp. 392-401]
- Trümper, M. "Locations of Ill Repute in Late Hellenistic Delos," in in A. Glazebrook and B. Tsakirgis, eds. Houses of Ill Repute: The Archaeology of Brothels, Houses, and Taverns in the Greek World (Philadelphia, 2016) 103-28.
- Trümper, M. "Modest Housing in Late Hellenistic Delos," in B.A. Ault and L.C. Nevett, eds., Ancient Greek Houses and Households (Philadelphia, 2005) 119-38.
- Trümper, M. "Gender and Space, 'Public' and 'Private,'" in S.L. James and S. Dillon, eds., A companion to women in the ancient world (Malden and Oxford, 2012) 288-303.
- Tsakirgis, B. "Whole Cloth: Exploring the Question of Self-Sufficiency Through the Evidence for Textile Manufacture and Purchase in Greek Houses," in E.M. Harris, D.M. Lewis, and M. Woolmer, eds., Markets, Households and City-States in the Ancient Greek Economy (Cambridge and New York, 2016) 166-86.
- Tsakirgis, B. "Fire and smoke: hearths, braziers and chimneys in the Greek house," in R. Westgate, N. Fisher, and J. Whitley, eds., Building communities: House, settlement and society in the Aegean and beyond (London, 2007) 225-31.
- Tsakirgis, B. "Living and Working Around the Athenian Agora: A Preliminary Case Study of Three Houses," in B.A. Ault and L.C. Nevett, eds., Ancient Greek Houses and Households (Philadelphia, 2005) 67-82.
- Tsakirgis, B. "Living Near the Agora: Houses and Households in Central Athens," in J.M. Camp II and C.A. Mauzy, eds., The Athenian Agora. New Perspectives on an Ancient Site (Athens, 2009) 47-54.
- Tsakirgis, B. "Lighting the Way: Windows on Behavioural Patterns in Greek Houses," in S. Ladstätter and V. Scheibelreiter, eds., Städtisches Wohnen im östlichen Mittelmerraum 4. Jh. v. Chr.-1. Jh. n. Chr. (Vienna, 2010) 569-82.
- Tsakirgis, B. "What Is a House? Conceptualizing the Greek House," in A. Glazebrook and B. Tsakirgis, eds. Houses of Ill Repute: The Archaeology of Brothels, Houses, and Taverns in the Greek World (Philadelphia, 2016) 13-35.
- Walcot, P. "Separatism and the Alleged Conversation of Women" C&M 45 (1994) 27-50.
- Walker, S. "Women and Housing in Classical Greece: The Archaeological Evidence," in A. Cameron and A. Kuhrt, eds., Images of Women in Antiquity (Detroit, 1983) 81-91.
- Wallace-Hadrill, A. "Engendering the Roman House," in D.E.E. Kleiner and S.B. Matheson, eds., I Claudia: Women in Ancient Rome (Austin, 1996) 104-15.
- Westgate, R. "Greek Mosaics in their Architectural and Social Context," BICS 42 (1997-1998) 93-116.
- Westgate, R. "House and Society in Classical and Hellenistic Crete: A Case Study in Regional Variation," AJA 111.3 (2007) 423-58.
- Westgate, R. "The Greek house and the ideology of citizenship," WorldArch 39.2 (2007) 229-45.
- Westgate, R. "Life's rich pattern: decoration as evidence for room function in Hellenistic houses," in R. Westgate, N. Fisher, and J. Whitley, eds., Building communities: House, settlement and society in the Aegean and beyond (London, 2007) 313-21.
- Wolpert, A. "Lysias 1 and the Politics of the Oikos," CJ 96 (2001) 415-24.
- Wycherley, R.E. How the Greeks Built Cities. 2d ed. London, 1962. [Chapter 7]
- Wycherley, R.E. The Stones of Athens. Princeton, 1978. [Chapter 10]
- Young, R.S. "An Industrial District of Ancient Athens," Hesperia 20 (1951) 135-288.
Top of Page
: Course Notes Page : Home Page
These pages were designed by John Porter.
Last Modified: Thursday, 19-Oct-2017 15:34:13 CST
Please send queries and comments to email@example.com.