To Home Page
To Course Notes Menu
CLAS 220: Slavery in Antiquity
compiled by John Porter, University of Saskatchewan
Relevant Links Elsewhere on the WWW and Bibliography for Course Lectures on Slavery in Antiquity.
NOTE: For the most part, links on this page are to relevant material on other WWW sites.
Please do not assume that the material is mine unless the page to which you are directed is clearly marked as being part of this WWW site.
Links to Relevant Sites Elsewhere on the WWW
For a list of journal abbreviations and call numbers, see the
Journals Relating to Classics in the University of Saskatchewan Libraries page.
- Allen, D. The World of Prometheus: The Politics of Punishing in Democratic Athens. Princeton, 2000.
- Anderson, W.S. "Horatius Liber, Child and Freedman's Free Son," Arethusa 28 (1995) 151ff.
- Andreau, J., and R. Descat. The slave in Greece and Rome. Madison, 2011.
- Balsdon, J.P.V.D. Romans and Aliens. 1979.
- Barrow, R.H. Slavery in the Roman Empire. New York, 1968.
- Bodor, A. "The Ethnic and Social Composition of the Participants in the Slave Uprising led by Spartacus," in Spartacus. Symposium Rebus Spartaci Gestis Dedicatum (1981) 85-94.
- Boswell, J. The Kindness of Strangers: The Abandonment of Children in Western Europe from Late Antiquity to the Renaissance. New York, 1988.
- Bradley, K.R. "On the Roman Slave Supply and Slavebreeding," in M.I. Finley, ed., Classical Slavery (Totowa, 1987) 42-64.
- Bradley, K.R. "The Problem of Slavery in Classical Culture," CP 92 (1997) 273-82.
- Bradley, K.R. "'The Regular, Daily Traffic in Slaves': Roman History and Contemporary History," CJ 87 (1992) 125-38.
- Bradley, K.R. Slavery and Rebellion in the Roman World, 140 B.C.-70 B.C. Bloomington, 1989.
- Bradley, K.R. Slavery and Society at Rome. Cambridge, 1994.
- Bradley, K.R. Slaves and Masters in the Roman Empire. Oxford, 1987.
- Bradley, K.R., and P. Cartledge, eds. The Cambridge World History of Slavery, 1: The Ancient Mediterranean World. Cambridge, 2011.
- Brockmeyer, N. Bibliographie zur Antiken Sklaverei. Bochum, 1983.
- Brown, C.L., and P.D. Morgan, eds. Arming Slaves: From Classical Times to the Modern Age. New Haven, 2006.
- Browning, R. Slavery and Class Analysis in the Ancient World. 1985.
- Brunt, P.A. Italian Manpower 225 B.C. - A.D. 14. Oxford, 1971.
- Cartledge, P. "Like a Worm I' the Bud ? A Heterology of Classical Greek Slavery," G&R 40 (1993) 163-80.
- Christensen, K.A. "The Theseion: A Slave Refuge at Athens," AJAH 9 (1984) 23ff.
- Crawford, M.H. "Republican Denarii in Romania: The Suppression of Piracy and the Slave-Trade," JRS 67 (1977) 117-124.
- Crowther, N.B. "Slaves and Greek Athletics," QUCC 40 (1992) 35-42
- Damon, C. The Mask of the Parasite: A Pathology of Roman Patronage.
Ann Arbor, 1997.
- Demand, N. "Women and Slaves as Hippocratic Patients," in S.R. Joshel and S. Murnaghan, eds., Women and Slaves in Greco-Roman Culture: Differential Equations (London and New York, 1998) 69-84.
- De Quiroga, P.L. "Freedman Social Mobility in Roman Italy," Historia 44 (1995) 326ff.
- duBois, P. Torture and Truth. New York, 1991.
- Evans-Grubbs, J. "'Marriage More Shameful Than Adultery': Slave-Mistress Relationships, 'Mixed Marriages,' and Late Roman Law," Phoenix 47.2 (1993) 125ff.
- Eyben, E. "Family Planning in Graeco-Roman Antiquity," AncSoc 11-12 (1980-1981) 5-82.
- Finley, M.I. Ancient Slavery And Modern Ideology. London, 1980.
- Finley, M.I. Economy and Society in Ancient Greece. London, 1981.
- Finley, M.I. Slavery And The Historians. s.l., 1979.
- Finley, M.I. The Ancient Economy. London, 1973.
- Finley, M.I. "Aulos Kapreilios Timotheos, Slave Trader," in Aspects of Antiquity. Discoveries and Controversies (1968) 154-166.
- Finley, M.I. "Problems of Slave Society: Some Reflections on the Debate," in Opus. Rivista internazionale per la storia economica e sociale dell'antichità 1 (1982) 201-210.
- Finley, M.I. "Was Greek Civilization based on Slave Labour ?" Historia 8 (1959) 145-164. [= Slavery In Classical Antiquity: Views And Controversies (Cambridge, 1960) 53-72.]
- Finley, M.I., ed. Classical Slavery. Totowa, 1987.
- Finley, M.I., ed. Slavery In Classical Antiquity: Views And Controversies. Cambridge, 1960.
- Fisher, N. "Hybris, Status and Slavery," in A. Powell, ed., The Greek World (London, 1995) 44-84.
- Fitzgerald, W. Slavery and the Roman Literary Imagination. Cambridge, 2000.
- Forrest, W.G., and T.C.W. Stinton. "The First Sicilian Slave War," in Past & Present 22 (1962) 87-91.
- Frank, T. Aspects of Social Behavior. New York, 1969.
- Gagarin, M. "The Torture of Slaves in Athenian Law," CP 91.1 (1996) 1ff.
- Garlan, Y. Slavery in Ancient Greece. Ithaca, 1988.
- Garlan, Y. "War, Piracy, and Slavery in the Greek World," in M.I. Finley, ed., Classical Slavery (Totowa, 1987) 7-21.
- Garnsey, P. Ideas of Slavery from Aristotle to Augustine. Cambridge, 1997.
- Garnsey, P., ed. Non-Slave Labour in the Greco-Roman World. Cambridge Philological Society, suppl. no. 6.) Cambridge, 1980.
- George, M. "Servus and Domus: The Slave in the Roman House," in R. Laurence and A. Wallace-Hadrill, eds., Domestic Space in the Roman World: Pompeii and Beyond (Portsmouth, 1997) .
- George, M., ed. Roman slavery and Roman material culture. Toronto, 2013.
- Gera, D.L. "Porters, Paidagogoi, Jailers, and Attendants: Some Slaves in Plato," SCI 15 (1996) 90-101.
- Golden, M. "Slavery and Homosexuality at Athens," Phoenix 38 (1984) 308-324.
- Gordon, M.L. "The Freedman's Son in Municipal Life," JRS 21 (1931) 65-77.
- Gordon, M.L. "The Nationality of Slaves under the Early Roman Empire," JRS 14 (1924) .
- Gregory, A.P. "A Study in Survival: The Case of the Freedman L. Domitius Phaon," Athenaeum 83 (1995) 401-10.
- Green, P. "The First Sicilian Slave War," Past & Present 20 (1961) 10-24.
- Haley, E.W. "Suetonius Claudius 24.1 and the Sons of Freedmen," Historia 35 (1986) 115-21.
- Harper, J. "Slaves and Freedmen in Imperial Rome," AJP 93 (1972) 341ff.
- Harsh, P.W. "Intriguing Slaves in Greek Comedy," TAPA 86 (1955) 135-42.
- Hengel, M. Crucifixion. , 1977.
- Hershbell, J.P. "Epictetus: A Freedman on Slavery," AncSoc 26 (1995) 185-204.
- Hopkins, K. Conquerors and Slaves. Cambridge, 1978.
- Hopkins, K. "Novel Evidence for Roman Slavery," Past & Present 138 (1993) 3-27.
- Hughes, K. Slavery. London, 1975.
- Hunt, P. Slaves, Warfare, and Ideology in the Greek Historians. Cambridge, 1998.
- Hunter, V. "Constructing the Body of the Citizen: Corporal Punishment in Classical Athens," EMC 36 (1992) 271-91.
- Hunter, V. Policing Athens. Princeton, 1994.
- Huys, M. The Tale of the Hero Who Was Exposed at Birth in Euripidean Tragedy: A Study of Motifs. Leuven, 1995.
- Jameson, M.H. "Agriculture and Slavery in Classical Athens," CJ 73 (1977-1978) 122-45.
- Jones, A.H.M. "Slavery in the Ancient World," in M.I. Finley, ed., Slavery In Classical Antiquity: Views And Controversies (Cambridge, 1960) 1-15.
- Jones, C.P. "Stigma: Tattooing and Branding in Graeco-Roman Antiquity," JRS 77 (1987) 139-55.
- Joshel, S.R., and S. Murnaghan, eds. Women and Slaves in Greco-Roman Culture: Differential Equations. London and New York, 1998.
- Joshel, S.R., and L.H. Petersen. Material life of Roman slaves. Cambridge and New York, 2014.
- Kajanto, I. "Tacitus and Slaves," Arctos 6 (1970) 43-60.
- Kirschenbaum, A. Sons, Slaves, And Freedmen in Roman Commerce. Jerusalem, 1987.
- Konstan, D. "Marxism and Roman Slavery," Arethusa 8 (1975) 145-69.
- Konstan, D. "Slavery and Class Analysis in the Ancient World; A Review Article, " Comparative Studies in Society and History 28 (1986) 754-66.
- Langbein, J.H. Torture and the Law of Proof. Chicago, 1976.
- Lintott, A. "Freedmen and Slaves in the Light of Legal Documents from First-Century A.D. Campania," CQ 52 (2002) 555-65.
- Lloyd-Jones, H. "Slave Societies," in Greek in a Cold Climate (London, 1991) 98-100.
- Madden, J. "Slavery in the Roman Empire: Numbers and Origins," ClIre 3 (1996) 109-128.
- McKechnie, P. "An Errant Husband and a Rare Idiom (P.Oxy. 744)," ZPE 127 (1999) 157-61. [exposure of children]
- McGinn, T.A.J. "Missing Females? Augustus' Encouragement of Marriage between Freeborn Males and Freedwomen," Historia 53.2 (2004) 200-08.
- McManus, B.F. Classics and Feminism: Gendering the Classics. New York, 1997.
- Meltzer, M. Slavery I: From the Rise of Western Civilization to the Renaissance. Chicago, 1971.
- Morris, I. "Remaining Invisible: The Archaeology of the Excluded in Classical Athens," in S.R. Joshel and S. Murnaghan, eds., Women and Slaves in Greco-Roman Culture: Differential Equations (London and New York, 1998) 193-220.
- Mouritsen, H. The Freedman in the Roman World. Cambridge and New York, 2011.
- Nyquist, M. Arbitrary rule: slavery, tyranny, and the power of life and death. Chicago and London, 2013.
- Oakley, J.H. "Some 'Other' Members of the Athenian Household: Maids and Their Mistresses in Fifth-century Athenian Art," in B. Cohen, ed., Not the Classical Ideal: Athens and the Construction of the Other in Greek Art (Leiden, Boston, and Köln, 2000) 227-47.
- Osborne, R. "The Economics and Politics of Slavery at Athens," in A. Powell, ed., The Greek World (London, 1995) 27-43.
- Padgug, R.A. "Select Bibliography on Marxism and the Study of Antiquity," Arethusa 8 (1975) 201-25.
- Parker, H. "Loyal Slaves and Loyal Wives: The Crisis of the Outsider-Within and Roman Exemplum Literature," in S.R. Joshel and S. Murnaghan, eds., Women and Slaves in Greco-Roman Culture: Differential Equations (London and New York, 1998) 152-73.
- Parker, H. "Crucially Funny or Tranio on the Couch: The Servus Callidus and Jokes about Torture," TAPA 119 (1989) 233-46.
- Patterson, C. "'Not Worth the Rearing': The Causes of Infant Exposure in Ancient Greece," TAPA 115 (1985) 103-23.
- Patterson, O. Slavery and Social Death. Harvard, 1982.
- Peters, E. Torture. New York, 1985.
- Petersen, L.H. Freedman in Roman Art and Art History. Cambridge, 2006.
- Phillips, W.D., Jr. Slavery from Roman Times to the Early Transatlantic Trade. Minneapolis, 1985.
- Pomeroy, S.B. "Slavery in the Light of Xenophon's Oeconomicus," Index 17 (1989) 11-18.
- Pritchett, W.K. "The Attic Stelai, Part II," Hesperia 25 (1956) 210-317.
- Rawson, B. "Circulation of Staff between Roman Households," ZPE 151 (2005) 223-24.
- Rawson, B. "Roman Concubinage," TAPA 104 (1974) 279ff.
- Rawson, E. "Freedmen in Roman Comedy," in R. Scodel, ed., Theater and Society in the Classical World (Ann Arbor, 1993) 215-33.
- Raymer, A.J. "Slavery — the Graeco-Roman Defence," G&R 10 (1940) 17-21.
- Reilly, L.C. Slaves in Ancient Greece: Slaves from Greek Manumission Inscriptions. Chicago, 1978.
- Ringrose, K.M. "Eunuchs in Historical Perspective," History Compass 5 (2007) 495-506.
- Ringrose, K.M. The Perfect Servant. Eunuchs and the Social Construction of Gender in Byzantium. Chicago, 2003.
- Saller, R. "Slavery and the Roman Family," in M.I. Finley, ed., Classical Slavery (Totowa, 1987) 65-87.
- Sargent, R.L. The Size of the Slave Population at Athens during the Fifth and Fourth Centuries before Christ. Urbana, 1924.
- Schaps, D.M. "What Was Free about a Free Athenian Woman?" TAPA 128 (1998) 161-88.
- Scheidel, W. "Slavery and the Shackled Mind: On Fortune-telling and Slave Mentality in the Graeco-Roman World," AHB 7.3/4 (1993) 107ff.
- Schiavone, A. Spartacus. Cambridge, Mass. and London, 2013.
- Schumacher, L. Sklaverei in der Antike: Alltag und Schicksal der Unfreien. Munich, 2001.
- Snowden, F.M. Before Color Prejudice. Harvard, 1983.
- Snowden, F.M. Blacks in Antiquity. Harvard, 1970.
- de Ste. Croix, G.E.M. The Class Struggle in the Ancient Greek World: From the Archaic Age to the Arab Conquests. Ithaca, 1981.
- Stewart, R. Plautus and Roman slavery. Malden and Oxford, 2012.
- Thompson, F.H. The Archaeology of Greek and Roman Slavery. London, 2003.
- Thurmond, D.L. "Some Roman Slave Collars in CIL," Athenaeum 82.2 (1994) 459-493.
- Treggiari, S. Roman Freedmen During the Late Republic. Oxford, 1969.
- Urbainczyk, T. Slave Revolts in Antiquity. Berkeley and Los Angeles, 2008.
- Vercoutter, J., ed. The Image of the Black in Western Art, I. New York, 1976.
- Vogt, J. Ancient Slavery and the Ideal of Man. Oxford, 1974.
- Watson, A. "Roman Slave law and Romanist Ideology," Phoenix 37 (1983) 53-65.
- Weaver, P.R.C. "Imperial Slave and Freedmen in the Brick Industry," ZPE 122 (1998) 238-46.
- Westermann, W.L. "Athenaeus and the Slaves of Athens," in Athenian Studies presented to William Scott Ferguson (Cambridge [Mass.], 1940) 451-70.
- Westermann, W.L. "Two Studies in Athenian Manumission," JNES 5 (1946) 92-104.
- Westermann, W.L. The Slave Systems of Greek and Roman Antiquity. Philadelphia, 1955.
- Wiedemann, T.E.J. Emperors and Gladiators. London, 1992.
- Wiedemann, T.E.J. Greek and Roman Slavery. Baltimore, 1981. [Sourcebook]
- Wiedemann, T.E.J. Slavery. Oxford, 1987.
- Wiseman, T.P. Catullus and His World: A Reappraisal. Cambridge, 1985. [Chapter One]
- Wood, E.M. Peasant-Citizen and Slave: The Foundations of Athenian Democracy. London, 1988.
- Zelnick-Abramovitz, R. Not Wholly Free: The Concept of Manumission andthe Status of Manumitted Slaves in the Ancient Greek World. Leiden, 2005.
Top of Page
: Course Notes Page : Home Page
These pages were designed by John Porter.
Last Modified: Tuesday, 20-Jun-2017 12:57:54 CST
Please send queries and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.