Home Page of John R. Porter
- Includes: the Greek lyric poets (selections), Solon, Theognis, Aeschylus' Persians,, Thucydides, Polybius, Catullus, the Res Gestae of Augustus, Vergil, and Ovid.
- Links to images of the ancient stage and to other theater-related resources available on various sites on the WWW:
- The Latin text of Petronius' influential tale, with vocabulary, grammatical commentary, English translation, bibliography, and relevant links.
- A grammatical commentary on a poem by Martial that humorously inverts the traditional Roman discourse on the dutiful wife. [Note: the subject matter of this poem, and the attendant illustrations, might not be for everyone!]
- A collection of eight fictional first-person accounts from the standpoint of one of the characters in Homer's Iliad, or a character of the author's own invention. These pieces are designed to elicit insights into Homer's poem by developing alternate perspectives into the world of the Iliad, particularly its characters, values, and social structures. Composed by students in CMRS 110. Available via iTunes or in pdf.
- Program information for a conference on the ancient stage held in Saskatoon on 22-25 October, 1997. Includes abstracts and information on the conference proceedings, which appeared in Syllecta Classica vol. 10 (1999).
- Informal reviews of scholarly works, dramatic productions, historical fictions, and the like.
Latin Youtube Commercials
The images of ancient art employed on this site are courtesy of Christus Rex (copyright 1994-1995).
Last Modified: Wednesday, 15-Nov-2017 13:44:51 CST
Comments about these pages should be directed