Home Page of John R. Porter
- CLAS 104: Myth [T2: M 6:00-8:50]
- CLAS 220: Daily Life [T1: TR 1:00-2:20]
- GRK 112: Greek for Beginners I [T1: MTWRF 11:30-12:20]
- GRK 113: Greek for Beginners II [T2: MTWRF 11:30-12:20]
- LATN 202: Intermediate Latin I [T1: MWF 10:30-11:20]
- LATN 400: Senior Latin — Satire [T2: TBD]
- Includes: the Greek lyric poets (selections), Solon, Theognis, Aeschylus' Persians,, Thucydides, Polybius, Catullus, the Res Gestae of Augustus, Vergil, and Ovid.
- Links to images of the ancient stage and to other theater-related resources available on various sites on the WWW:
- An examination of a vase that has frequently been cited in discussions of ancient prostitution, and of the iconographic traditions that paint a quite different picture.
- The Latin text of Petronius' influential tale, with vocabulary, grammatical commentary, English translation, bibliography, and relevant links.
- A collection of eight fictional first-person accounts from the standpoint of one of the characters in Homer's Iliad, or a character of the author's own invention. These pieces are designed to elicit insights into Homer's poem by developing alternate perspectives into the world of the Iliad, particularly its characters, values, and social structures. Composed by students in CMRS 110. Available via iTunes or in pdf.
- Program information for a conference on the ancient stage held in Saskatoon on 22-25 October, 1997. Includes abstracts and information on the conference proceedings, which appeared in Syllecta Classica vol. 10 (1999).
- Informal reviews of scholarly works, dramatic productions, historical fictions, and the like.
Latin Youtube Commercials
The images of ancient art employed on this site are courtesy of Christus Rex (copyright 1994-1995).
Last Modified: Saturday, 25-Mar-2017 21:03:03 CST
Comments about these pages should be directed