To Home Page
To Latin 112/113 Page
Key to Worksheet for Reading Latin 4D
- While Brutus was praetor, the pirates were smitten/killed with an axe at Syracuse.
Bruto praetore, praedones securi Syracusis percussi sunt.
- The statues had been removed from the temple by certain slaves of Verres at night.
simulacra e templo a quibusdam servis Verris nocte sublata erant.
- Everyone realized that they (i.e., some others) had been killed by the pirates.
omnes senserunt eos a praedonibus necatos esse.
- At Rome, no one used to be commanded to spare slaves.
nemo Romae servis parcere iubebatur.
- Everyone realized that they (i.e., the same people) would be killed by the pirates.
omnes senserunt se a praedonibus necatum iri.
- When these things had been heard by all, the consul himself was defended by no one.
quae ubi ab omnibus audita sunt, consul ipse a nemine defensus est.
- Some people were being captured in one place, others in another.
alii alibi capiebantur.
- Some will say that these things were done out of fear.
aliqui dicent haec timore facta esse.
- The senate agreed/voted that the enemy would be bound and held at Lilybaeum.
senatui placuit hostis Lilybaei vinctum atque tentum iri.
- (The person) who has been loved, will love others.
qui amatus est, alios amabit.
(Note: we'll learn a more idiomatic way of expressing this later on.)
Top of Page
: Latin 112/113 Page : Home Page
These pages were designed by John Porter.
Last Modified: Monday, 08-May-2006 16:10:36 CST
Please send queries and comments to email@example.com.