Project Title: Modeling based integrated assessment of flood impacts [Theme 4-2]
1. Investigate and predict the hydrologic connectivity in a watershed under high flow conditions
2. Build a suitable systems modelling approach to simulate agricultural lands, lakes and wetlands, rural development and water supply
Figure: Qu'Appelle River watershed and its sub-basins
Floods in Canada are known to have a wide variety of impact on society. It is important to develop an approach that allows for quantifying and predicting the impact of floods on the physical environment in rural and urban areas in an integrated and comprehensive way. Based on the integrated assessment of the flood impacts, watershed and municipal authorities can evaluate and prioritize planning and action measures e.g. development of new detention ponds, maintaining or draining certain wetlands.
- Study area- Qu’Appelle river basin (prairies).
- Streamflows and water volumes will be predicted.
- Water level will be estimated.
- Flood areas will be delineated using GIS based approach.
- Different watershed management strategies will be investigated to assess their impact on the effect of flood on various functions of the watershed i.e. water supply, agricultural land, urban development, recreational areas etc. Existing water quality data will be augmented with the experimental results.
- Probability distribution function of surface storages is the best available representation of prairie surface scheme.
- Hysteresis of contributing area and depression storage is responsible for poor hydrological model performance.
- Revised PDMROF (LATFLOW) algorithm shows improvement over PDMROF.
- Development of MESH model for other natural watersheds in the Qu’Appelle River basin
- SD reservoir model using daily time step
- Develop hybrid model
Project Name: Ground Water Management and Feasibility Study for 148 Pourashava Having No Piped Water Supply
September 2010~August 2012
o Water distribution network modeling
o Growth rate projection via census analysis
o Surface water assessment
Project Name: Dhaka Artificial Recharge by Rain Water Harvesting
January 2010~August 2010
o Structural Design of recharge pit, roof and piping system for rain water harvesting
o Provided CAD support
Project Name: Strengthening the Resilience of the Water Sector in Khulna to Climate Change
October 2009~March 2010
o Hydro-graphic & topo-graphic Field data process using GIS
o Preparation of DEM
o Secondary CAD file processing and extraction of data
o Preparation of Land use map, population map, adaptation option map etc.
Project Name: Dhaka Water Supply Sector Development Project
July 2009~September 2009
o Worked in preliminary DMA, which was designed by Water CAD v 8.0
o Provided GIS support to the designers
Project Name: Study on Well Field Construction for Immediate Supplement to City Water Supply from nearby Groundwater Sources October 2009~August 2010
o Working in the water collection & transmission network and related civil engineering structures i.e. Production well, primary collector, Iron removal plant etc.
o Preparation of Bill of quantity
o Preparation of water transmission line map Provided CAD support